Contrary to popular belief, cannabis addiction can be just as fatal as addiction to cocaine or other drugs. Typically, what begins as occasional consumption for recreational purposes escalates into a dependency on the drug for day-to-day functioning.
At its most severe form, cannabis addiction can majorly impair one’s everyday activities, causing them to neglect their responsibilities. However, like any other addiction, a definite treatment course and unconditional support can help individuals to overcome their dependency on the drug.
What is Cannabis Addiction?
Cannabis is a flowering plant commonly used to produce the popular drug marijuana. Marijuana is obtained by harvesting and drying the cannabis flowers and is widely consumed for its soothing properties. Commonly referred to as weed or pot, the drug is still commonly available (though illegal) in India.
The presence of the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis calms the mind, causing momentary pleasure. However, it is also this chemical that hooks the individual to the drug, leading to addiction. Marijuana is a controversial and much-contented drug; consequently, its repercussions are often easily cloaked under its perceived health benefits. In fact, studies suggest that long-term cannabis consumption can have many detrimental effects, including the inability to concentrate, hallucinations, increased blood pressure and heart rate, reddening of the eyes, etc.
Symptoms of Cannabis Addiction
Some of the most common symptoms of cannabis addiction include:
- Inability to keep adequate track of time and place
- Negligence of all other responsibilities and daily activities
- Memory impairment
- Acute anxiety
- Perpetual lethargy
- Susceptibility to other mental health conditions
Cannabis Addiction Treatment: The Way Ahead With Safe House
At our rehab in Delhi, we offer comprehensive rehabilitation programmes that motivate individuals dealing with addiction to work towards a bright and blissful future. Here are some ways we help patients struggling with cannabis addiction:
- Closely Monitored Medical Detox: Safe House understands the initial side-effects and withdrawal symptoms that patients may face during the detox phase. While a patient undergoes cannabis detox, our proficient team of psychologists, psychiatrists, physicians, and counsellors are accessible throughout the day to monitor the patient’s health and wellbeing.
- Personalised, Comprehensive Treatment Plan: We believe that the treatment plan for every individual differs based on his/her symptoms, nature of the addiction, and personal challenges. Thus, we thoroughly analyse each patient’s case history and prepare customised treatment plans catering to their needs. Such a comprehensive plan helps patients occupy themselves in meaningful activities and abstain from cannabis more seamlessly.
- Educational Lectures and Group Discussions: Based on the Twelve Step Programme, our rehabilitation plans primarily focus on self-reflection, exercise, clean living, and study. Our educational lectures provide patients with an insight into the principles and theories of addiction, helping them understand the genesis of their problems and the way ahead in treatment. We also conduct group discussions to develop a sense of togetherness and reassure patients that they are not alone in their tryst with addiction.
- Family Counselling: We make sure to incorporate family counselling as an integral part of the rehabilitation plan. This helps ensure that the patient receives considerable support from his/her loved ones and continues to feel accepted and secure even after completing the programme.
- Relapse Prevention and Continuing Care: Even after the patient has abstained from cannabis for a considerable period, it is important to prevent addiction relapse. We closely monitor and encourage patients to continue in their abstinence journey even towards the end of the programme. Lastly, the end of the programme does not signify the end of our association with patients. We follow up with them regularly, offering further help and assistance if required.