Twelve-Step Programme: A Brief Overview
Overcoming addiction cannot happen overnight; however, following a step-by-step approach enables one to harbour hopes of a bright future.
The Twelve-Step Programme to de-addiction provides a systematic framework to individuals grappling with addiction, helping them identify and accept their challenges and overcome them by reconnecting with their true selves.
Built around the twelve steps laid down by the Alcoholics’ Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA), the Twelve-Step Programme lists twelve distinct de-addiction processes that revolve around self-acceptance, spirituality, oneness with the almighty, and forgiveness.
While these twelve steps ostensibly focus on spirituality and surrendering to a higher power, premier rehab centres like Safe House have modified this approach to accommodate individuals with varying religious beliefs, plus atheists and agnostics.
The Twelve-Step approach is based on the following five essential practices:
IV. Clean living
What are the Benefits of the Twelve-Step Programme?
Over the years, the Twelve-Step Programme has established itself as a tried-and-tested healing process for individuals struggling with drug and alcohol addiction. Some of its benefits include:
- Physical, Mental and Emotional Healing: The Twelve-Step Programme involves physical activities and meditation exercises that work simultaneously on the body and mind. Today, many rehabilitation programmes incorporate healing practices like yoga into the Twelve-Step Programme.
- Increased Self-Awareness and Self-Acceptance: Many addicted individuals use defence mechanisms like denial and rationalisation. The Twelve-Step Programme helps one gently peel off these layers of defense and accept one’s vulnerabilities and challenges.
- Social Wellbeing and Amendments: The more the grudges we hold, the heavier our minds and hearts feel. The Twelve-Step Programme enables patients to accept those around them, forgive them for their wrongdoings, and seek forgiveness where required. Making amendments with one’s family members and friends facilitates social wellbeing and empathy.
Twelve-Step Programme at Safe House
At Safe House, we implement the Twelve-Step Programme even as we modify it to suit the religious beliefs and ideologies of each patient. Here are some interventions we follow on the lines of the Twelve-Step Programme:
- Yoga and Meditation: Our patients’ days begin with yoga and meditation and end with meditation sessions. We help them focus on their breathing and integrate with their inner selves, becoming more mindful of their thoughts and emotions.
- Self-Reflection: Psychological research suggests that several of our thoughts and habits are seeped into our subconscious, making it a ‘control room’ to dictate our behaviours. Our daily self-reflection exercises help patients become more aware of their thoughts and inhibitions and work on these to overcome their addiction.
- Food and Nutrition: Our proficient mental-health counsellors prepare customised diet plans based on each patient’s requirements and food restrictions. Our expert chefs prepare meals that strike the perfect balance between taste and nutrition!
- Educational Lectures and Study: Our regular educational lectures encourage patients to understand the healing and de-addiction process better. We also facilitate group discussions and workbook completion exercises for better comprehension and retention.
We are here to hear you out and help you or your loved ones overcome addiction. Connect with us, and let us begin the healing process together!